Baldwins Metal Land is here to provide you with the best steel solutions for your project’s needs. As a leading sheet metal merchant in South Africa, we offer a wide range of high-quality steel products.
See our product list of plates and sheets:
Steel plates are foundational in numerous industries and are known for their durability and adaptability.
At Baldwins Metal Land, we offer a variety of steel plates in various sizes and qualities.
Steel plates are distinguished by their flatness and large surface area, making them different from other steel forms, such as beams or bars. They are designed to withstand high impacts and pressures.
Shape: Steel plates have a flat, smooth surface. Their uniform thickness across the plate is a crucial characteristic.
Attributes: It is a strong and durable material resistant to corrosion and abrasion. It can also be shaped into various forms.
Applications: Construction is used for structural support and foundations, shipbuilding, marine applications, heavy machinery, industrial equipment, and the automotive industry for vehicles.
Material: Carbon steel is the most common material, but alloy or stainless steel can also be used for specific applications. Heat treatment and coating options are available to enhance properties.
Mild Steel Plates
- Thickness: Vary from thin plates of 4.5 mm to extremely thick plates of up to 25 mm.
- Width: Ranging from 1.2 metres to 2.4 metres.
- Length: Ranging from 2.5 metres to 10 metres.
Hard Wearing Plates
- Thickness: Varies from 6 mm to thick plates up to 50 mm.
- Width: Ranging from 1.2 metres to 2 metres.
- Length: Ranging from 2.5 metres to 4 metres.
- Thickness: Varies between 3 – 4.6 mm and 8 – 9.6mm.
- Width: Available at 1.2 metres.
- Length: Available at 2.5 metres.
What’s the difference between hot-rolled and cold-rolled steel?
The primary difference lies in their manufacturing processes and resultant properties.
Hot-rolled steel is processed at high temperatures, making it easier to shape and form. A rough surface finish characterises it and is typically cheaper than its cold-rolled counterpart.
On the other hand, cold rolled steel is processed at room temperature, resulting in a smoother surface finish and closer tolerances.
Hot Rolled Sheets
These sheets are characterised by their manufacturing process, where steel is rolled at high temperatures.
Shape: These sheets typically have a rough, blue-grey finish with a slightly round edge. Unlike cold rolled sheets, hot rolled sheets may not have a perfectly uniform surface or edge.
Attributes: Easier to work with due to their malleability; lower cost compared to cold-rolled sheets; good strength and toughness; scale surface provides a unique finish. However, it could be more precise in dimension due to high-temperature processing.
Applications: Structural components such as beams, rail tracks, and construction support materials are used in various industries, including automotive, agricultural, and general fabrication.
- Thickness: Varies between 1.6 mm and 4 mm.
- Width: Available between 1225mm and 1800mm.
- Length: Available between 2450mm and 4000 mm.
- Material: Compositions of carbon steel may vary to include different grades. Alloying elements can be added for specific applications, altering strength, flexibility, and resistance properties.
What Are the Benefits of Hot Rolled Steel?
Hot-rolled steel sheets are known for their robustness and ease of workability, making them a popular choice for construction and structural components. Their ability to withstand extreme conditions and affordability makes them a practical option for larger projects.
Cold Rolled Sheets
These sheets are known for their precision and enhanced surface finish.
Shape: These sheets typically have a smooth, clean surface with a uniform, precise edge. The cold rolling ensures a more consistent and exact shape than hot rolled sheets.
Attributes: Improved surface finish, size precision, strength and hardness from strain hardening, better surface quality for painting/coating, tighter tolerances for dimensions, and easier to work with for intricate applications.
Applications: Automotive body parts and panels, home appliances such as refrigerators and washing machines, electronic components, architectural and decorative applications, and metal furniture and cabinetry.
- Thickness: Varies between 0.5 mm and 2 mm.
- Width: Available between 1225 mm and 1500mm.
- Length: Available between 2450mm – 3000 mm.
- Material: Predominantly composed of carbon steel but available in various grades based on application requirements, often coated or treated for increased corrosion resistance or specific surface properties.
What Are the Benefits of Cold Rolled Steel?
Cold-rolled steel sheets offer a high level of precision and superior surface finish. It is ideal for applications where aesthetics and exact dimensions are crucial, such as in automotive parts or home appliances. Their increased strength and enhanced properties make them suitable for more detailed, intricate projects.
Galvanised sheets are distinguished by their protective zinc coating, significantly enhancing their corrosion resistance.
- Shape: These sheets typically have a smooth, shiny surface with a spangled pattern. The edges are uniform, and the overall shape is consistent, similar to other steel sheets, but with a distinctive silver-like appearance due to the zinc coating.
- Attributes: Galvanised steel boasts excellent resistance to rust and corrosion, long-lasting durability in various environments, easy paintability, good adhesion, and effective weldability and fabricability. Additionally, it is sustainable since it is recyclable.
- Applications: Building materials for outdoor and industrial use, automotive parts, and agricultural equipment and storage.
- Thickness: Varies between 0.5 mm and 3 mm.
- Width: Available at 1225mm.
- Length: Available at 2450mm.
- Material: Usually made from carbon steel, coated with a layer of zinc for corrosion resistance.
What Are the Benefits of Galvanised Steel?
The zinc coating acts as a protective barrier that significantly prolongs the lifespan of steel products. It is beneficial for outdoor or humid environments, as it shields against rust and corrosion. It is versatile and can be used in various applications, ranging from construction to the automotive industry.
Making the Right Choice for Your Steel Needs
The steel industry constantly evolves.
At Baldwins Metal Land, we commit ourselves to incorporating the latest technologies to ensure that our products are of the highest quality and produced with our consumers in mind.
Understanding the different types of steel and their benefits is crucial for selecting the suitable material for your project. Whether it’s steel plates, hot-rolled, cold-rolled or galvanised sheets, Baldwins Metal Land is here to provide the best.
Choose Baldwins Metal Land for steel solutions that stand the test of time.